Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Updateville

Ack. After several weeks of diligent posting, I've fallen a bit off track again. It's been somewhat intentional and somewhat unintentional. The latter is a result of being a little busier with various things, and the former is a result of my horrid tendency to start narrating everything I do in my head as if I were preparing a blog post. It happens when I start posting too frequently, so I'll back off for a while until I stop.

Today marks an unfortunate event: I am breaking my commitment to make it all semester without missing a single class. I suppose it's not entirely lamentable as a) I'm rather sick and staying home seemed the only wise thing to do--at least until the fever subsides, and b) I'm doing it with gusto, since today is the only day in which all four of my classes meet and I'm missing all of them.

I hate being sick. (Wow, the Sudafed must be intensely affecting my brain, as that was the most banal statement of the obvious.) Being sick during school is much less fun than being sick during work--with the latter, it's much easier to push the work that isn't being done out of your mind and languish in the day off with little guilt. During school, though, there's the constant specter of the Work That Should Be Done hanging over your head the whole time you're attempting to nap or watch movies. I actually thought about going to most of my classes today, but the wise Captain Chaos reminded me last night that getting behind is inevitable while sick in school. As such, I have two choices: to get a day behind while I take a day and let myself get well, or to get substantially behind as I plug along at subpar performance and let the virus fun continue to linger for weeks. I chose the option that left me less behind and meant I got to sleep all day today.

Last night, the very darling new fella came over and made me matzo ball soup. I'm quite impressed with the soup's seemingly medicinal qualities, not to mention the incredible sweetness of the gesture. Hee...boys are nice.

Oh, if you have a second and a bit of extra cash, one of my favorite websites (Tomato Nation) is pooling reader resources to fund teacher initiatives through Donorschoose.org. Obviously, you can always go to the Donors Choose site and give to whatever initiative you like, but the TN readership is so huge that the collective effort has managed to plow through 4 initiatives since Sunday and is half-way through the 5th as I write this. Cool stuff--teachers in Brooklyn who request things for their classes. Anyway, go here if you have an extra $10 to help a class go visit the aquarium, buy a computer, etc.

Oh my goodness, this post is even boring me and I'm writing it. That's the news, folks. More interesting things to come at some point. I promise.


1 Comments:

At 1:05 AM, Blogger Joe said...

I hope the matzo ball soup was worth the $21 per week. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home