Monday, November 25, 2002

Hoo. It’s been a while since my last post. Busy times here, and not entirely in a good way. Well, let me rephrase that: there have been ups and downs, and the downs are making me sad as hell right now. I’m thinking we’ll get everything covered nicely here with a recap of the turmoil, followed by a few random bitchings.

To recap: I made major headway on the career thing and have managed to successfully pry myself off the ceiling. Only a very select group of people in my life right now is privy to the new plan, and since that group doesn’t yet include my parents I’d rather keep it out of cyberspace for now. Sawwwy. But all is well on that front. The more I work on my new plan, the more at ease I feel. Clearly, good decisions abound.

Sadly, such goodness doesn’t color the rest of this update. Arg…it started last Monday when my Dad emailed me to tell me (rather flippantly, I might add) that two of our dogs broke loose and ended up getting hit by a car and killed. As if that weren’t traumatic enough, my father’s wife went and found a new dog the same damn week! Not just any dog, a 9-month old border collie who has never had a name and has been kept in a kennel for the persuasive majority of her life. What a prize, really.

Later that day (Monday), I had lunch with Mr. Drama, one of my closest friends. For the record, we were good friends in college, had a brief and tumultuous dating encounter which was followed by a few months of we-can-totally-sleep-together-and-just-be-friends nonsense…now we’re friends again. The point of Monday’s lunch was to provide a venue in which Mr. Drama could tell me all about the latest installment in the Mr. Drama Top Ten Dramatic Moments catalog. Prior to lunch, all I knew about the incident was that it resulted in him wearing (proudly, I might add) a woman’s necklace. No, seriously, a silver heart pendant that smacks of an Elsa Peretti knockoff; it has no business being worn by a man. None. Whatsoever.

Anyway, I’m going to skip the long version because it makes my head hurt and my stomach queasy. Short version: after spending ONE weekend with an old friend from college he is head-over-heels in love and planning to move two states away to be with her in May. They think the wedding will be in a year or two. Are you fucking kidding me? I only wish. Worst part (and really, this was tough to pick): we’re driving back from lunch and as a *joke*, I ask “So, you’ll invite me to the wedding, right?” He looked thoughtful for a moment and replied “Well, yes, if we’re still in touch.” Well pass the Twang, bartender, because this papercut clearly needs some prodding before I achieve quality pain.

So that sucked, though not so much as breaking up with Boy at the end of the week. * Sigh * It was the best thing, considering our respective positions on relationships at this time in our lives (briefly: I want one, he doesn’t—not a lot of negotiation progress to be made there). Thankfully, it ended quite well (aside from the gut-wrenching sadness). We’re bound and determined to remain friends, which is stellar—I think the part that had been plaguing me most this week as things became increasingly weird was the thought of not having him in my life at all. Conclusion: I’m still batshit crazy about him and am taking a few weeks to get some of that out of my system so we can get on with being friends again. At least I haven’t lost him completely.

Okay, that pretty much takes care of the recap. I can’t quite put my finger on what I plan to bitch about today, so I’ll just leave you with the following indisputable truth:

BOYS ARE STUPID.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home