Thursday, December 23, 2004

Notes from 20,000 feet

And so ends another semester, in ways both similar and different than others. As usual, I was in a rush to get packed and out of the house to make my flight. The 5 or so inches of snow that dumped on A2 the night before I left didn’t help the errands and such which required me to move the car. I especially appreciated the snowplow that came along just as I had parked at a meter by the law school when J and I went to get him packed up. It was awesome. And by “awesome” I of course mean that I had just been thinking how much I wanted a blockade of snow to fence in my car. Whatev, that’s what Subarus are for.

Also in keeping with my own academic tradition, I end this semester feeling like I didn’t work hard enough/smart enough all semester and paid for it during exams (although unlike undergrad, this experience of paying for it involved three exams on which my entire grade for each class was based…a little different than the litany of shitty papers I wrote in varying reality-defying speeds). And of course, I have a plan to do more next semester. I think this plan will actually work, though, since I have a better idea of what I’m doing and my schedule will allow a more structured work format.

Unlike previous semesters, though, I just came off two weeks of working inordinately hard, and I’m totally ready for two weeks of doing sweet fuckall at my parents houses. I only hope the weather is nice enough in at least one place for me to get some running in. Since I’m a law-school-is-hard-and-time-consuming slacker, I’ve totally backed off any serious training plan recently…which is too bad since I’ll actually be in Houston for their half-marathon. Bleh. Maybe next year.


Also unlike previous semesters, I left a markedly tidy domicile behind, thanks to help from the ever-patient and less-organizationally-challenged-than-me J. We didn't get to the last round of dishes, but a whole lot of straightening went on before, during, and after packing. And, you know, it was really good to have him there to point out that I should, actually, rinse off my toothbrush after dropping it in the cats' dish. I cut myself slack on that one only by pointing out that it had at that point been two days since his last final and only one since mine.

So the other night I was studying for Contracts, and for reasons that escape me I was hyper as all get out. To wit: in the middle of a read/check email/print notes fugue, I stopped and thought “I wonder what Levar Burton is up to these days?”

Currently listening to: The Be Good Tanyas, Dar Williams (thanks to AK for both!), the birthday mix I made my mom.

(Wait, what is this, LiveJournal? Am I that twee? Gah.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home