Thursday, June 24, 2004

'Tis a gift to be simple

It’s been a long, long time since the last time I put together the Lists of Things I Like and Things I Don’t Like. I think I stopped doing them for two reasons: a) sometimes the justifications portion of the lists take longer than my hurry-up-and-wait work day allows, and b) I’m intensely lazy and entitled. Sooo….I’m bringing back the Lists, with a facelift. In our current climate of complex and enigmatic social issues, I’m bringing a bit of sophomoric simplicity to life by polarizing it all into Good and Bad.

Good
• Elaborate breakfasts on weekend mornings
• Full-body sneezes
• Gmail
• Unexpected windfalls
• Advance meal planning that facilitates snacks
• Leaving work early
• Boxing, when done by others
• Running, when done by me
• The fearless use of passive voice
• Stevie Wonder
• Spending 40 cents more to get real Q-tips
• Bank errors in your favor
• Birth control that comes with a video game
• Potatoes
• Naps, solo
• Naps, with someone you really dig—particularly when they turn into Snaps
• Slinkys
• Inappropriate capitalization That Makes Your Point
• Free pens

Bad
• Fatigue
• Raisins
• Orange Juice
• Boredom
• Smelly garbage disposals
• Skipped meals
• Thermostats set at 68 when it’s 74 and raining outside
• Drama
• That truck that’s parked just enough over the line to make the second parking space inaccessible to everything but a Miata
• Incompetence
• Incontinence
• Impatience
• Saving 40 cents and going for fake Q-tips
• Under-eye circles
• Finding unpleasant souvenirs from the cat in the laundry basket
• Cashiers who glare
• Faucets that leak
• Houseplants that speak
• Unidentifiable odors

2 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, Blogger Silvana said...

birth control AND a video game??!
omg, how do you live?? that is so cool.

this is silvana, btw.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Salle said...

Dude, I'm saying. It's the coolest thing...a little hourglass with LCD balls that fall from the top to the bottom every day to show you when 21 days have passed. So. Fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home